Tuesday 26 October 2010

Initial Research

Before I can do any sort of work I need to do research to inspire my ideas and help support all design development that I do. The best starting point for myself is always to find visual stimulation which I firstly do through the internet and any relevant books I have available to hand. Because my idea is halloween themed I searched entirely for halloween images to help inspire me.





The above images are some of the first ones that i've found which contain halloween elements such as pumpkins, ghosts and gravestones. Even colour wise these images are useful because of the oranges, reds and browns found in the pumpkins as well as the leaves and plants which help to represent that time of the year where the weather is getting cold and the leaves are falling off of the trees. These images show very well the type of mood and look I want to have for my animation piece, the only difference being that my one will be set during the night.


The above image is a perfect example of the type of house I wanted the animation to be set in, it's a typical Eastern, Mid-Eastern American home which is often used in the horror films throughout the 70's and 80's. I wanted to use this type of house for a few reasons, firstly is that it is easily associated with old hack n'slash horror movies such as Halloween for example, the peaceful suburban home which is turned into a nightmare, secondly the size of this house provides a lot of room to have characters moving around and has lots of different rooms which can all be themed differently. 



Heres two more examples of the type of housing and environment I want to use for my animation, again you can see common features throughout both in the colour scheme and the types of objects in the gardens as well as the architecture of the homes. The orange glow of the front porch in the top picture perfectly represents the lighting I would like to use in my piece.




These are some examples of types of different costumes that kids wear for 'trick or treating' on halloween. They are great reference for halloween costumes which I will be trying to design for the main boy character in the animation, i'm not too sure what sort of outfit he will wear but I do know that I don't want it to be something common and typically worn for halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment